Lighting Designer – All Levels
We do make strategic hires and will consider your candidacy for an appropriate location. Open to any of our office locations.
Glumac is a leader in Sustainable Design and the WELL Building Standard. Our mission is to engineer and commission “green buildings that work.”
We search for genuinely passionate people who thrive in collaborative environments, care deeply about sustainability and will bring new engineering innovations to building projects. If you also embrace accomplishing this with a diverse team of passionate people, we encourage you to apply.
We are and will continue to be engineers for a sustainable future. Join us!
The Glumac Lighting Studio collaborates across all Glumac offices on projects, working with many different clients and design styles providing electrical lighting and day lighting designs to clients at all levels of project participation from design assist to full project design-bid-build involvement. Lighting Designers come from lighting design and architectural backgrounds meaning our projects not only fit the quantitative needs of projects, but fit the qualitative and aesthetic design goals.
Sustainable design is at the forefront of all of our lighting design projects. The Glumac Lighting Design Studio takes a broad approach to building performance encompassing occupant experience and resource efficiency. We create aesthetically pleasing, cost-effective and practical solutions that fit within the defined budget. We prioritize the use of energy-efficient technologies and applications, while scrutinizing emerging technologies before recommending them.
Glumac‘s lighting designers are members of the IESNA, IALD, are LEED APs and Lighting Certified (LC) by the National Council on Qualifications for Lighting Professionals. We offer expertise in lighting design and in-depth coordination with other disciplines. Along the way, our designers can provide expressive conceptual sketches and renderings as well as detailed computer models developing the necessary pieces of the design. Lighting designers also coordinate mock-ups, on-site aiming, and controls programming. We look for genuinely passionate people that can thrive in a collaborative environment, care deeply about sustainability and are not afraid of bringing new engineering innovations to building projects.
- Responsible for electric lighting, daylighting and lighting controls design.
- Works with the design team to select appropriate light fixtures for project with respect to cost, performance and aesthetics.
- Manage Clients, lighting project scope, design resources, and deliverables to meet project budget.
- Produces renderings using pictures and software manipulation tools to create conceptual lighting images.
- Hand sketches to show lighting intent, installation methods and overall look.
- Experience in luminaire construction, design, maintenance, efficiency and optical characteristics.
- Experience with the basics of architecture, interior design and landscape architecture and construction.
- Proficient in researching and articulating concepts with white papers, reports, and memos.
- Prepares Energy Code Compliance documentation for the lighting portions of the project.
- Strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills for both internal and external clients.
- Client communication is critical to explain and direct lighting designs with our architectural clients.
- Must constantly coordinate with the Project Manager.
- Prepares design layouts, fixture schedules, specifications, and calculations with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals of sustainable design criteria such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building Standards, and Biophilia.
- Knowledge in landscaping materials and outdoor environments such as dirt, plants, paving systems, salt water/air, corrosive chemical environments, etc., and how they will interact with all lighting components.
- Understands and designs high demand spaces such as theatre, sports facilities, high-end retail, etc.
- Understanding of the physiology and psychology of the human visual system and designs using their understanding of how it functions with lighting.
- Understanding of the details of every light source and its benefits and drawbacks in almost any given situation.
- Attends national conferences and seminars ranging from electric and daylighting design, to photobiology, to product innovation and sustainable practices.
- Has a working knowledge of major light fixture manufacturers, industry trends in lighting, and continues to grow and keeping up to date in the field.
- Can perform daylighting design including running calculations, shadow studies, considering thermal implications, glare, health impacts, façade details, etc.
- Can balance aesthetic design, energy design, health, psychological benefits, etc., as they relate to each individual project, client, climate, etc.
- Strong comprehension of how lighting integrates with all trades including MEP and architecture by understanding where the various parts are placed and how they will interact and coordinate with each other.
- Responsible for the lighting control intent and control specifications in conjunction with project Electrical Engineer.
- Organizes and facilitates mock-ups with Clients.
- Participates in the quality control review of fellow designers and engineers.
- Nurtures existing Client relationships and proactively pursues opportunities for new business.
Relationship to others
- Works directly with various project engineers, per assignment.
- Works closely with drafting staff and electrical designers assigned to the project.
- Has a strong relationship to the client, and leads the lighting design effort.
- Keeps current with lighting representatives to know what products are emerging, existing, industry trends, etc.
- Shares knowledge with others by serving as a constant contributor to the Studio, a trainer, a mentor, and a resource.
- Has at least 5-10 years in lighting design.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or equivalent industry related experience.
- Lighting Certification preferred.
- Expertise utilizing Revit and AutoCAD programs.
- Strong Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and AGI32
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth knowledge of construction processes.
- Competitive salary along with a rich and comprehensive benefits package.
- 401k with an annual matching contribution.
- Base of 3+ weeks of accrued annual Paid Time Off (PTO).
- 8 days of regular holidays.
- FSA, EAP, Health Advocate and other employee focused health benefit options with Wellness.
- Generous Paid Referral Bonus Program.
- Discretionary Annual Merit Bonus.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan allows eligible employees to purchase shares at a discounted rate.
Glumac provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Glumac complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.