California Independent Systems Operators
The California Independent System Operator (CA ISO) wanted to create a secure, innovative, comfortable and LEED-Platinum headquarters in Folsom, California. In addition to superior sustainability goals, the CA ISO facility needed reliable power to serve the State’s power plants, utilities and more than 30 million consumers.
Glumac performed LEED Commissioning that helped the Design-Build team achieve its LEED Platinum status and ensure CA ISO critical facility systems for its data and command centers functioned reliably. Glumac commissioning agents worked with the contractor to optimize the under-floor air distribution system with a very low 3% air leakage (compared to industry standards of 10%) meaning optimal energy savings up to 40% more efficiently than California’s stringent Title 24 standards.
The building features a 60,000 sf command/control operations and data center; a fully redundant 18,000 sf central plant; a 3-story 150,000 sf office wing; and a 50,000 sf public wing which includes an exhibition space, an education center showcasing renewable power systems, customer demand-response controls, and a cafeteria.
- Uninterruptible Power Systems featuring 2N design with N+1 redundancy
- Two 1500kVA UPS with scalable modules for optimized efficiency
- Raised floor Command/Control room for the power grid operators
- 5MW diesel generator plant with on site fuel storage in a 2N configuration
- Wet cell battery plant with cell monitoring
- Central chiller plant featuring 2N design with N+1 redundancy
- Metering and monitoring of building systems via Modbus TCP network
- Branch circuit energy metering in the data center remote power panels
- Energy efficient lighting systems
- Photovoltaic solar panels and solar heated hot water
- Daylighting controls with dimming in office and public wings
- Demand reduction controls for office building lighting and HVAC systems
- Chilled water thermal energy storage
- Water and air side economizers
- Heat recovery and direct cooling
- Under Floor Air Distribution (UFAD) for improved indoor air quality
- Greywater irrigation system
Size: 278,000 sf
Project cost: $118 Million
Completion date: 2011
Owner: California Independent Systems Operators
Owner’s Rep: Vanir Construction Management, Inc.
Architect: Dreyfuss & Blackford
Contractor: Clark Construction