- University of Oregon - Straub Hall
- Los Angeles Community College District’s Pierce College Library/Learning Crossroads
- University of Washington Bothell - Discovery Hall
- University of Oregon Jane Sanders Softball Stadium
- Chapman University Keck Center for Science and Engineering
- California State University Northridge Sustainability Center
- AltaSea at the Port of Los Angeles
- Pacific Northwest College of Art
- Matthew Knight Arena - University of Oregon
- Los Gatos Library
- CSU Long Beach Clean Energy Master Plan
- Santa Barbara City College West Campus Center
- California State University Northridge Student Housing Phase 2
- California State University Stanislaus Student Union
- University of Washington, Tacoma - Russell T. Joy Building
- Mission College Student Engagement Center
- UCLA Hitch Suites and Commons Buildings
- San Diego State University Engineering & Interdisciplinary Sciences Building
- University of Texas Football Players Facility
- Harvey Mudd College Drinkward Hall Student Housing
California State University Northridge Sustainability Center
As the focus on sustainable building design continues to grow among students and administration at Cal State Northridge, and its Institute for Sustainability expands, it was determined a facility was needed to house its classes and faculty and serve as a showcase for their work. The existing recycling yard was tapped as a space for its new Sustainability Center.
The facility has achieved Net Zero Energy and earned LEED Platinum certification. It is also designed to meet the Living Building Challenge.
Designed to work with the strengths and weaknesses of the San Fernando Valley’s natural environment and climate, the Sustainability Center will house faculty offices, meeting spaces, and will maintain the recycling yard. As sun light is plentiful in the area, the 5,000 sf recycling yard will be covered with a 2,000-square-foot solar photovoltaic canopy that will supply energy to the building. And a solar hot water system will provide heated water needs for the Inside the facility. And as water is scarce in area, composting toilets will be used to negate water usage for waste removal, and a system for rainwater and greywater capture will meet landscaping irrigation needs.
Glumac MEP engineering experts continue to work closely with Cal State Northridge students on the design of the Sustainability Center, and the project has become an educational opportunity for students in the sustainability program. Glumac has held daylong design charets with the students to both learn about their needs for the facility, and in turn educate them on the cutting edge sustainable building solutions.
The Sustainability Center was named ENR California’s Best Green Project in 2018 (Higher Education/Research Category).
Size: 4,000 square feet inside/5,000 square feet outside
Start Date: November 2014
Anticipated Completion: March 2017
Owner: California State University Northridge
Services: MEP ENgineering
Images courtesy of Ryan Gobuty/Gensler
California State University at Northridge (CSUN) is located in Southern California’s San Fernando Valley – and like the rest of the state, is not immune to the challenges facing water conservation and access to clean, renewable sources of energy. With leadership at the university backing a student-driven push for greater levels of on campus sustainability, the school was ready to pursue something special. | Read More